Cheap Recipes : How To Make Paella
This traditional Spanish dish of seafood, chicken, rice and spices can now become a treat in your own home with this easy to follow recipe.
SERVING : 4
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 1 hour
Oven Temperature : 180° C – 360° F
40 ml olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
50 g Spanish chorizo sausage, diced
2 boneless chicken thighs, cut in cubes
300 g short grained rice
120 ml white wine
800 ml chicken stock
1 tsp saffron threads
100 g peas
8 large prawns, peeled and head still on
2 squid, cut into rings
200 g clams
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 30 cm paella pan
1 wooden spoon
1 sheet of aluminium foil
Begin the paella
* Put the paella pan over a medium to high heat. Once it has heated up add some of the oil and then the chicken pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
* Fry for a few minutes, stirring occasionally to help even cooking.
* Add the chorizo and stir in. Let it cook for a minute.
* Add the onions and mix them in.
* Add the red pepper, garlic, tomato and then the rice, stirring them all in well.
* Add the wine, saffron and the paprika. Mix it all together.
* Add enough of the hot chicken stock to cover all the ingredients. Bring it to a bubbling simmer.
* Lower the heat slightly, so that it cooks whilst still gently bubbling. Cook for 7-10 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed, but not all.
Add the seafood
* Add the clams, pushing them under the surface with your hands, to ensure that they cook.
* Lay the prawns around the pan, then the squid. Sprinkle the peas over and season with salt and pepper.
* Cover the pan with foil. Let it cook for 3-5 minutes more.
* Turn off the heat. Let it stand for a further 5 minutes, still covered with the foil.
* Remove the foil. Heap a generous portion onto a serving plate.
* Garnish with some lemon wedges and your paella is ready to serve.
* It goes well with fresh bread and a glass of wine.